Monday, August 20, 2012

Cans

A few weeks ago, a local “grocery” store (in quotes because sometimes these small town grocers are so, so much more) held a white trash food competition.  Lime Jell-O salads, hot dogs in Twinkies, that sort of thing.  If I had entered, I would have made a batch of Cans.

 

When I was young, I hated cans.  Hated it.  Eating now, right now, at my desk for lunch, I can’t imagine why.  It is everything good/wrong with American food habits.  As my brother wolfed down countless pans as a teenager, I’m here to tell you that this is probably the ideal “boy in the house thinks he’s the garbage disposal” type of dish.  I’m certain I’ll be making it when my boys are big, but the sodium content will keep me from indulging too much before then.  In short, make it for a potluck or to feed an army, but don’t expect to be happy with yourself for having it as leftovers three days in a row. 

 

This recipe, by the way, goes against all the food trends right now: it’s not organic, it’s not healthy, it’s not low fat, it’s not Paleo, it’s not full of vegetables, it’s not fresh, and it has high fructose corn syrup in there somewhere, I’m sure of it.  If that doesn’t fit your eating style, consider yourself warned.

 

photo (5)

 

 

Layer, in whatever order you want, or mix together, a can of each of the following in a 9 x 13" inch pan (or larger, or deeper, which is better if you can swing it, because this bubbles, and sometimes you want to double the recipe or certain ingredients you like best):

 

Green beans (drained)

Spaghetti-Os

Chili (whatever kid you like, of course!)

Olives (drained)

Corn (drained)

Top with cheese and a bag of Fritos.  Bake at 375 degrees for thirty minutes or until melty and bubbly.  Enjoy as one can only enjoy a guilty pleasure, a food item that isn’t healthy but is so, so good.

 

Optional add-ins include anything in a can, of course.  Jazz it up with roasted green chilis and pinto beans, add some more veggies of some sort.  The options are endless, and I’m pretty sure it will come out delicious, no matter what.

No comments: