Thursday, September 4, 2008

Checking in

I proooomise to post photos later, but I thought I would at least check in, just in case anyone is wondering where we disappeared to. Well, I'll tell you: we disappeared into a remodeling vortex. But all that is over with tonight. Here's a quick rundown, and, like I said, we'll get photos up soon:
First, we hired contractors, so don't be freaked out thinking that we did this all ourselves!
  • A wall was taken out of our living room
  • A cabinet set was purchased for an island
  • A new refrigerator was purchased
  • Our kitchen was all torn up, including the sink and countertops, so our entire kitchen, including all major appliances, was moved to the garage
  • Oh, yeah, and so was our whole living room
  • Our laundry sink began to pile up dishes
  • Our flooring was ripped out
  • Our North shed was taken away
  • Lots of money was spent

Then... once the house was all torn to pieces, things started to look up...

  • A dog kennel on the north side of the house was built (now Buster will have a place of his own where he will not bark at cars - we are really trying to break him of his barking habit before the baby comes)
  • Laminate flooring was installed, and let me tell you, it is a riot to watch Buster slip and slide around that floor!
  • New countertops and sink were installed
  • New lights over the new island were installed
  • The new cabinet set for the island was installed... and it is a LOT bigger than I pictured it. Apparently, I do not have good spatial reasoning skills. The island will now dominate our main floor, but I think it will be handy to have.
  • Furniture was moved back in, along with the appliances and kitchen stuff
  • A load of dishes that had been festering in the laundry sink for a week was finally run through the dishwasher

Ah! I also had a checkup this week, at 29 weeks gestation of this lil' kicker. I am measuring 31 weeks from the outside, and my next checkup will be in three weeks instead of four. Then the next one in two weeks, and then every week after that. As if I needed another reminder that this kid is getting ready to squirm its way to the outside world! I am very healthy, and the baby's heartrate is holding steady at 140 bpm. I also only gained a teeny bit of weight this month, which is kinda weird. After all, I am OUT THERE in the belly region. In the past week, even Tony has said that I am starting to get big. Maternity clothes are being stretched to their limits! I am starting to walk more like a pregnant woman, not so much with the waddle as with a giant weight in front of me. I still can't breathe half the time, and I think I can identify appendages as the baby squirms around inside. Pretty cool!

It's a beautiful day here, leading into a beautiful weekend. We have plans to go to doggy obedience training (yeah, we did that last summer, but it is time for a refresher), a dog festival in the park, have dinner with Tony's new coworker and his wife and 2-year-old daughter, watch some Seahawks football, and enjoy the sunshine.

I imagine everyone who is reading this blog from Washington State heard about the terrible shooting up here in Skagit County. It's pretty much rocked our world around here, and I had the privilege (?) of watching the takedown at the Sheriff's station directly across from my office. A terrible tragedy, and it just goes to show that you can't account for the crazy people in this world. Go home and hug your family, because some wackjob out there could go on a killing rampage at any time.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Ah yes, the good ol' third trimester remodel. I've been there. It looks great! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself this time around with no rooms to remodel.