Friday, February 11, 2011

Go make a pot of coffee, drink it, and start making burgers

How is that morning sickness going, Amelia?

Fine, thanks.  I’ve been feeling better over the past few weeks, and I mostly control my vomit urges by eating more food, more often, and I haven’t turned to the drugs since mid-January. 

 

Feeling better coincided (as it often does) with feeling like I have taken a handful of uppers every morning.  I cram the fleeting hours of every day with laundry and cleaning and reorganizing, sure that this child I will bring forth will be embarrassed by the disorganization in the house… or something.  Where does this urge come from?  Anyhow, in addition to garage storage, new TV, and bookshelves moved and repopulated, my mom has proposed a true remodel project for after-tax-season: ripping off the red-painted wood paneling that covers the cement foundation wall in the basement, insulating it, and putting up new wood paneling (that we would leave wood-colored).  If we did this, it would only make sense to replace the carpet (of course).  So!  My plans of no big renovations might be tossed to the side as opportunity knocks.

 

Otherwise, pregnancy seems to be moving along swimmingly.  At 20 weeks and change, I am feeling all sorts of movements from the baby now, and we’ll get to see him or her through the ultrasound machine next week.  No, we will not be finding out the sex of the baby.  We didn’t with Charles, and we enjoyed the surprise.  Yes, this means we need to find two names.  We have a girl’s name, still working on the boy’s.  No, we will not be revealing the name until after the birth.

 

And do you remember how I carried Charles?  All out in front?  I am thinking I am carrying this child the same way.  Probably there are some wives’ tales about how I’m carrying being related to the sex of the baby… so maybe it’s another boy?  At any rate, I am thanking my lucky stars because I carried Charles so far out that he didn’t squish my bladder and cause the incontinence issues that many other women experience.  Who wants that?  As far as I’m concerned, this baby can be big and all out in front!

 

Amelia, is that oil-cleaning thing still working out for you?

Yes, yes it is.  I am slowly working my way through the standard face cleansers I own in the shower, but I’m experiencing a bit of chloasma (the mask of pregnancy) in my cheeks, and the weather is sapping my skin of all moisture, so I might give that up soon.  I hate to waste things I paid money for, but my poor face is so dry, and I’m sure the oil twice a day would help!  My hands are also dry, and in that uniquely Russell way, they are cracking and bleeding.  So are Leland’s.

 

The treatment itself is doing wonders for my acne, though.  I haven’t had a breakout since I started with the oil cleansing six weeks ago, and my pores look smaller.  I do need to buy more washcloths, though, as I can’t quite make it through a laundry cycle with enough for a face wiping every night.

 

It’s funny, more people have asked me about this than almost anything else I have written about.  I guess we all want to look better, huh?

 

How’s tax season going this year?  Anything I can do?

Tax season is always tough.  We lose Tony to the office for 12-14 hours every day and that is exhausting (for him), no matter how you slice it.  Tony has been getting to the office by 5 am, sometimes as early as 4:30.  This is nice because he is able to come home and have dinner with us (or shortly after us) each night.  He is working weekends already (has been for a month), and he is only going to get busier.  I have no doubt that we will lose him for dinner in the near future. 

 

But!  But, he looks better than he has in years during tax season.  Oh, sure, he’s tired, but he doesn’t look drawn and pasty and ill.  He’s not short of temper, and he’s maintained several of his household responsibilities (finance, dirty-diaper laundry {he puts them in the washing machine and starts it so I don’t have to smell them, then I move them through the wash and dry cycles and fold and put away}, and random stuff the pregnant lady asks him to do).  Starting this weekend, Charles and I will be heading out of town quite often to give him the chance to work 20 hours per day in the hopes that he’ll be able to keep up dinners with us for a while longer.

 

I am starting to lag on my housekeeping, however.  You might recall that when I was about 24 weeks pregnant with Charles, I threw my back out (or rather, Charles threw my back out by being such a giant baby).  I am starting to feel my lower back throb when I do activities such as vacuuming, and Buster has started shedding, so vacuum I must, and often.  I am hoping to be able to keep up with other chores at least until the end of tax season, but if you are so inclined, you would be welcome to come over and vacuum or mop any day.

 

What’s new with Goodwinds?

Well, we are interviewing and MBA grad student for a maternity leave internship next week.  The interview is next week, not the maternity leave.  I don’t plan to go until I give birth, but someone will need to come in and take over ordering, invoice processing, etc.  Leland is working his butt off and our website traffic is up 54% over last year.  We’re hoping for continued success and working on strategically positioning ourselves to reach the industrial supply market within the next year.    All good things.

 

What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?

Absolutely nothing.  Tony’s a tax accountant.  What do you expect?

1 comment:

K Schimmy said...

Your post title made me nauseous. :)