Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Things You Don’t Want to Know, but I’ll Tell You Anyway, Because That’s the Sort of Person I am, Also, I am Miserable, and Misery Loves Company.

Blech.  Pregnancy is hard, you guys.  I have been SO sick.  With Charles’ pregnancy, I was sick, but not debilitatingly so.  I seem to remember a lot of sleep, a few heave episodes, and an unhealthy consumption of cottage cheese.  This time, the cottage cheese is no friend of mine.

 

Nor is anything else, really.  I don’t want to eat a thing, but in order to keep the heavies at bay, I must.  But I can’t do cheese.  And I dislike sugary stuff, but not entirely, not like with Charles.  With Charles, I couldn’t look at a donut.  Now, I just don’t want one.  Much like I don’t want a banana, or a PBJ, or an apple, or some bacon, or a bowl of soup.  Do you see the problem?  Nothing sounds good, nothing tastes good.

 

But the lack of appetite would be a non-issue if it weren’t for the other changes in bodily function this pregnancy has wrought.  I do okay in the morning, mostly just a retch here and there as I choke down some cereal.  I vomited in the sink the other morning, loudly, and really scared Charles, I think, but I’m mostly okay.  The worst part about the mornings is the excess saliva.  *shudder*  That part’s not the worst part of the rest of the day, though, because other horrid symptoms take over by around 4pm.

 

In the afternoons, I am tired and just plain nauseated.  All the damn time.  What I want is to curl up in a ball and go to sleep, but there is a limit to how much sleep a pregnant lady with a hyperactive toddler can get.  The nausea, though.  The soul-crushing, crippling nausea.  It has, in recent weeks, made it impossible for me to care for my family.  As soon as Tony gets home in the evening, I go to bed.  The gas, the bloating, the pain… oh, my gosh, I just can’t even describe how awful it is. 

 

So!  We’re edging up on twelve weeks over here… Do you know what I want for Christmas?  I want to feel better.  With luck, I will.  After all, these symptoms are all just supposed to disappear by week thirteen, right?  Right?  Oh, Lord, it is going to be a looong, unhappy tax season if I stay sick.

4 comments:

Keleigh said...

Oh, ugh! How long have you been having the not-only-morning sickness? Isnt' it supposed to be over about now?

Amelia said...

Oh, since about week 5. My doctor keeps telling me that he has stronger drugs if things get really bad, but what's really bad, you know? I mean, I'm not dead, yet. And it IS getting better, if only slightly. I can usually make it all the way to 7:30 pm before I end up in bed these days. Longer if I force myself to eat only yogurt all day long. Which isn't fun and leaves me hungry, but at least doesn't cause gas and bloating, only heartburn (everything causes heartburn). So, I don't know... another week? Two? Maybe then it will be some better?

K Schimmy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. This sounds exactly like what I endured with Ruary... hate to say that it kept going until the morning I went into labor, but it did. I hope you get some relief as you enter trimester #2. My worst blog post from that time (kind of funny to read now, but man, was I a Sally-Sourpuss):
http://moldpenny.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

Sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear it's not much better. Hopefully it will let up soon. That was definitely the worst thing about pregnancy for me. I felt like it was a cloud that just hung over me ALL day. It won't last forever. You can do it!