Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Round and Round

Conversations in the car last night:

 

Jamie: Mom!  Where’s my new fire truck train?

 

Me: Honey, it’s either at home or here in the car.

 

Jamie: Oh.  It’s at home.  But I wanted to take it to Baby Boot Camp!

 

Me: Well, we don’t take toys like that to Baby Boot Camp because they might get lost.

 

Charles: What got lost at Baby Boot Camp???!!!

 

Me: Nothing.  Jamie was talking about his fire truck.

 

Charles: What fire truck?

 

Me: His new Flynn the Fire Engine toy that he got as a gift for his birthday from Maria.

 

Jamie: What fire engine?

 

Me: Flynn the Fire Engine.

 

Charles: It’s lost already?!

 

Jamie:  Who’s Flynn?

 

Me: No, it’s not lost.  It’s at home.

 

Jamie: Oh.  But I wanted to take it to Baby Boot Camp!

 

Jamie: Who’s Flynn?

 

Jamie: What fire engine?

 

*******

 

Me: Charles, would you be interested in having a campout at Maria’s house this summer with some other big kids?

 

Jamie: I’m a big kid!

 

Me: I know, sweetie, but you’re not quite big enough to camp out away from home.  How about a campout with Daddy in our backyard?

 

Jamie: But I’m a big kid!  I’m three!

 

Charles: With Maria and David and Christian?

 

Me: I think it would be with Gabey and Heidi and some of their cousins.

 

Charles: Who are their cousins?

 

Me: Well, they would be other kids your age, like the boy Christian who came to Jamie’s birthday party with Gabey and Heidi.

 

Charles: Who?

 

Me: You remember, Gabey and Heidi and their cousin Christian came after everyone else and you guys bounced on the bouncy house for an hour together.

 

Charles: Gabey came to Jamie’s party?

 

Me: Yes!  With Heidi and Christian!

 

Charles: Who’s Christian?

 

Me: The five-or-six-year-old boy who was with Gabey and Heidi at our house on Saturday evening, jumping with you in the bouncy house!

 

Charles: Who?

2 comments:

Jennifer L. said...

I just hurt my abs from laughing too hard at this!! Only a parent of small kids can truly appreciate this type of humor.

Kelli said...

Do you ever just want to say to them, "WOULD YOU JUST PULL YOUR S**T TOGETHER, PEOPLE?" Because I think I had that exact same conversation about the train, except about light sabers, with my boys.