Thursday, May 26, 2011

35 Weeks and Change, Can the Days Go Any Slower?

Oh boy, oh boy, it’s the third trimester and it is AWESOME.  Not.

 

What’s going on lately?  Why haven’t I kept up with posting this past week?  AM I OKAY? 

 

Yes, yes, we’re all fine here.  Hmm, except for the fact that I now have a distinctive waddle.  And that Charles is throwing tantrum after tantrum that Tony suspects are caused by 60% new molars and 40% SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH MOM, NOOOOOO!  He’s clingy and obstinate, and I had to call Tony to come rescue me from his wrath at preschool yesterday because instead of sitting in his carseat like normal, he wanted to wail and scream and thrash about on the floor of the car for half an hour.  HALF AN HOUR PLEASE FORGIVE THE ALL CAPS BUT HOLY GOD, I CAN’T TAKE ANOTHER EPISODE LIKE THIS HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT HALF AN HOUR OF SCREAMING IS LIKE?  Tony took him to swimming lessons, I picked up a pizza and sat on the couch.

 

In fact, I do a lot of couch sitting/napping these days.  My tremendous will to exercise regularly has waned mightily in the past week, and I haven’t been to the gym in about 10 days.  Which is probably fine, since more exercising did NOT equal less weight gain this time, and if this baby doesn’t come early like Charles did, I will surpass my 1st pregnancy weight gain.  Maybe I’ll surpass it by next week, who knows?  I told myself that anything under 50 pounds of weight gain this time was a win, but now that I am almost there, I feel like I lose.  But really, my friends and family lose, because they have to look at my fat ass all summer.  Sigh… an entirely new wardrobe to accommodate post-birth body.  Oh, sure, I have fat jeans from last time, but nothing that will do in 80+ degrees all summer long.

 

Also, and if you’ve been pregnant you know what I’m talking about here, I have reached that point where I feel like if I stretch too much, I might permanently dislocate something.  Or if I lift too much weight, my joints might irreparably freak out or SOMETHING BAD, I don’t know what, but it doesn’t feel great to be this loosey-goosey all the time.  No more weights, only cardio at the gym from this point forward.  35 weeks and change and I am ready to be done.

 

My couch time has been augmented by an early birthday gift from my dad and father-in-law, a Kindle.  I have been downloading e-books like crazy, which might turn into a pretty expensive habit.  I downloaded a bunch of free (since they’re public domain) classics that I have never read, but then I got into this mystery series, and every time I finish a book, which takes on average 2 days, I feel I simply MUST purchase the next in the series to find out what adventures lie ahead.  Also, the Kindle is just so damn convenient.  I take it everywhere, which has made waiting in doctor’s offices so much more relaxing and feeling somehow productive (yes, I know reading mystery novels is not productive in that I am not producing anything, but it is recreation, which is something I don’t get to do very often, so it is productive in that it produces feelings of relaxation, thus keeping my blood pressure from creeping up) and I get to read a lot more than I used to.

 

My birthday is on Monday, the dreaded 30, and we are doing a game night in a local restaurant.  I have some really awesome friends who have worked hard to plan a fun night for this oh-so-pregnant lady who can’t drink and can’t dance and can’t stay awake very late, and for that I am quite grateful.  I plan to enjoy myself with Italian food and good dessert and try not to cry when people say nice things (see how I am assuming nice things will be said I AM AN OPTIMIST).  We are also going to the zoo on Saturday morning, and I’m pretty sure I’ll need all day Sunday to recover, so pray for my sanity because I took a toddler to the zoo a couple months ago and it was fantastic but also exhausting and I am much more waddle-y and tired now than I was then.

 

Also?  Also?  I am not ready for this baby.  I don’t have newborn clothes, I loaned everything to a friend whose baby was extra-small (or within the range of normal, while Charles was extra-large) and I have yet to get them back.  The crib needs a bit of repairing (it is one of the recalled drop-down cribs that I bought NEW when Charles was born and instead of replacing the crib, the company sent out little parts that have to be screwed on somewhere, I’m not sure where, Tony knows, he just hasn’t done it yet and OHMYGOD WHAT IF THE BABY COMES EARLY AND HE/SHE CAN’T SLEEP IN THE CRIB FOR FEAR OF SUFFOCATION GET ON THAT TONY).  I haven’t switched all the diapers over to newborn size yet, I don’t have a bring-baby-home-from-the-hospital outfit yet, I don’t have my bag packed yet, I haven’t sterilized my pump yet, I haven’t brought the swing or bassinet down from storage and cleaned them yet, I haven’t washed the car seat or the stroller yet, I haven’t bought a humidifier yet, AAAAAHHHH PANIC ATTACK.

 

Ugh.  Time for a nap.  Who’s with me?  Oh, wait, I need to iron some shirts this afternoon, lest Tony go to work naked tomorrow.  Shirts, then nap.

3 comments:

K Schimmy said...

If it's any consolation, I'm still waiting for my husband to clear out the damned office so it can BEGIN to be converted to the baby's room. My freaking out does nothing to him. I may have to get irrational. And I have 18 days until my c-section.

Okay, that's all.

Amelia said...

Ohh, no good, Rick, no good. Did he procrastinate to the last day to write all of his papers in school, too? At least you have a date of removal. All I have is a sense of "please let this baby come early, I don't know how much more of this I can handle" fighting with "please let this baby stay put at least until I get my intern trained and I have everything I need for the baby." Not fun.

Sarah said...

I say let him go naked. It gives new meaning to BizCasFri.