Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Birthday Celebrations at School in the Modern Age

There’s a girl in Jamie’s class who is allergic to nuts.  I have friends with kids who are gluten intolerant.  Others who can’t eat ice cream.

 

Remember when everyone just brought cupcakes to school and everything was good?  No more.

 

I’m here to tell you, though, that there is another way.  Another way that is, perhaps, even more exciting for young kids due to the many, many possibilities.  Another way that is gluten- and nut-free.

 

Rice Krispies Treats.  You can use fruity pebbles for some color, or shape them into a dragon, or frost them with a “Happy Birthday!” message, or just cover them in sprinkles and slice into servings as I did for Jamie’s birthday party at school.  Kids love ‘em, adults love ‘em.  No one has an allergic reaction and gets rushed to the ER.  They’re not even messy.  You’re welcome.

 

photo

This two-year-old likes sprinkles best.

 

For the party we hosted at our house, I made messier desserts: a cream puff cake and a banana split cake.  They were both so delicious, I could cry.  I modified the cream puff cake recipe by using real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip and hot fudge sauce instead of Hershey’s syrup.  The banana split cake?  Well, I post the recipe sometime.  I’ve been waiting years to make it and it was every bit as good as I had hoped.

 

****

As of tonight, I’m on vacation, bitches!  See you next week!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Oh My Gosh. Cream Puff Cake? You are kidding me, that looks so amazing. Fingers crossed Dash grows out of his dairy thing sooner rather than later/never, and this will be one of the first recipes I try.

Janine said...

And there's my kid who is allergic to corn (along with MANY other things). It's **awesome**. It's in everything!

That Cream Puff cake looks amazing!