Friday, October 11, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Your Life

I’m getting a little squicked out at how many flavors are paired with pumpkin spice this time of year (whatever the hell pumpkin spice is anyway… pumpkins taste like squash, pumpkin pie is full of spices, and trendsetters couldn’t care less).  In the past few days I have seen pumpkin spice white chocolate mochas, pumpkin spice cheesecake, pumpkin spice cream cheese, chocolate pumpkin spice muffins, pumpkin spice pecan cake, pumpkin spice puppy chow (for humans, not dogs), pumpkin spice whiskey (okay, that might actually be good), and pumpkin spice and lavender air freshener.  Now, I like pumpkin pie as much as the next person, but I like mine unadulterated.  I’ve never had a pumpkin spice latte, I’m sure they’re delicious, but why do you have to add caramel to it (as I’ve seen advertised on the not-Starbucks coffee stand signs)?  Flavor overload.

 

It must be an American thing: more is better, so let’s add this good thing with these other good things and see if we get something six billion times better!  Often, it’s not better at all.  Most of the time, when it comes to cooking (and art, and clothing, and accessories, and highlights, and landscaping, etc), more is not better.  It is just more, and sometimes it is worse.  But then again, I have never been a huge fan of those cookies that have a million things in them (coconut! peanut butter! chocolate chips! oatmeal!).  I do love plain cheese or just good old-fashioned chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  Maybe I’m the weirdo.

 

Well, it’s Friday, so I thought I could maybe rant about pumpkin spice for a bit and call it a day.  But then I stumbled upon this (someone who has much stronger feelings about pumpkin spice than I do), and I think you should read it: http://enid.craigslist.org/cto/4119280944.html

 

Now I have a lunch meeting with my accountant (sounds more professional than saying I’m going to on a lunch date with my husband) and then to Costco for a massive shopping trip.

 

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That ad was freakin' hilarious.