Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I want to be formal, but I’m here to party

You might think that only girl children are slaves to fashion, but you would be wrong.  Nothing is more important to my kids’ day than what they are wearing.

 

Okay, that’s an exaggeration.  Nothing is more important during the ten minutes of getting dressed time than what my kids are wearing.  And then they promptly forget about it, unless the shirt they are wearing happens to be a new, important gift or something that was previously too large but that I dug out of the too-large bin last night because of a recent growth spurt.

 

photo (20)

The same growth spurt caused a massive car seat rearrange and removal of the 5-point harness.

 

You know, if the correct shirt or shorts or pants or underwear or socks aren’t available, either one of my kids might break down and throw a tantrum for minutes on end.

 

My boys sometimes change clothes twice, even three times a day.  Like, if it gets sunny and they were wearing pants and want shorts, or I fill up the pool and they put on their swimsuits.  When they get really crazy, they don socks made specifically for soccer to better kick the ball.

 

Costumes?  We have plenty, but they go on over clothes and are either worn all day long or are rejected within minutes because it’s too hot outside.

 

Accessories?  Boys have those, too, though they take the form of creature pods, Batman utility belts, and hats, rather than jewelry.

 

My kids each have a pair of shoes, a pair of sandals, and a pair of boots.

 

I’m so glad I have boys.  Their lack of sartorial fussiness makes up for the stench and the gun noises.  Almost.

No comments: