Monday, June 23, 2014


It’s funny, but regardless of how tired I am, the fast pace of my life continues, unabated.  Complain miserably or embrace?  How about “embrace, but compromise by taking lots of naps.”


I took the boys for a “Mommy-Charles-Jamie” day on Friday and spent most of the rest of the weekend on the couch.  One last hurrah before their world is turned upside-down by a new baby brother.


Because I am a working mom, and I have a lot of flexibility in my work schedule, I try really hard to take a few hours (sometimes a whole day) off to hang out with my kids on occasion.  Sometimes it’s one-on-one, other times, we do things all together.  I don’t want to be a stay-at-home-mom, I think that’s really hard and it doesn’t bring me joy, but working punctuated by the occasional “day out” with my kids is pretty great.


We started with breakfast out, and the best damn buttermilk pancakes you will ever eat, ever.


photo 1 (49)

Oh, yes, they’re big.  And delicious.  And I ate all the leftovers and I still want more.  I want one right now.

Then, we went to a play-date with friends from Boot Camp, where Charles found a costume that fit, both literally and figuratively, and stayed in it until we left.



After lunch, the boys watched a movie while I took a nap.  When I woke up, Jamie was in the arms of Morpheus and Charles was dutifully keeping him snuggled.


photo 1 (48)


Aaand, I made a startling realization: Charles knows how to navigate Netflix.  So, even though I have the users set up on my online account, I have to now figure out how to get them on my TV (they’re not there).  Any suggestions?


After Jamie woke up, we went out for ice cream, since there is a new Baskin—Robbins in our neighborhood.


photo 2 (50) photo 3 (39)


And then we had dinner, and then we went swimming, and then we all slept the sleep of the dead, except the pregnant lady, who was up every couple of hours to pee and switch sides.


photo 1 (47)

Car rally before 7 am on Saturday


Saturday was just as fun-filled, with Baby Boot Camp, playing outside, watching the Berry Dairy Days Parade (I stayed home) and a trip for the boys to the Speedway for races and the Demolition Derby.  They didn’t get back until nearly 11 pm, and Tony and I had to get them into pajamas while they were asleep and floppy.  Did they sleep in the next morning?  No, they did not.


They were up early, went to church and the grocery store with me, played outside in the pool with their friends, and fell asleep on the couch together at 5 pm.


photo 2 (48)

You can’t see it in the picture, but Jamie is sucking his thumb again.  He regressed about a week after kicking the habit when he and Charles started playing “baby and daddy.”  Sigh.

What did Tony do all day Sunday?


photo 4 (9)         

He installed new flooring and baseboard in our bathroom.  Isn’t it lovely?

No comments: