Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Little Brother Big

I’m wearing a “scary shirt” today because, according to my kids, “Uncle Leland likes scary things.”

 

It’s Leland’s birthday, and we’re celebrating with barbeque take-out and lemon meringue pie (I make it once a year for his birthday) at work, a date night for me and Tony followed by a pub trivia birthday celebration with Leland and all his friends later this evening.  I’d better take a nap this afternoon.

 

He’s thirty years old today. 

 

“Mom, is Uncle Leland younger or older than you?”

 

“Younger.”

 

“Were you born before him?”

 

“Yes, I was born three years and eighteen days before him.”

 

“Will you always be older than him?”

 

“Yes.  Yes, I will.”  And with those words, I felt much older than I did yesterday.

 

I love my husband dearly.  I love my children so much it hurts.  But no one, no one, will ever relate to me the way Leland does.  He’s my best friend, my business partner, and my baby brother.  Happy birthday, kid.

 

photo (26)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Amelia! My name is Heather and I have a question about your blog that I was hoping you could answer! Please email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)